View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1740 / Power: 12
nono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant future
Re: Batam Info / Interest / Help Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane88 View Post
when dark and have alcohol any ugly gal became pretty...so dun be shocked if you wake up to an ugly beside you if you paid LT...
Morning walk at Penuin/BCS area during my November 2020 Batam trip and some "words" in this liquor shop in the penuin area caught my attention,hehehe...it says "life is better when you are drunk".

Recently paid uncle curry rice a visit, he shares with me there was one old uncle in his early 70s at the coffee shop, who would visit Batam alone on his Saturday off days and comes back to Singapore on a Sunday for a drink at one of the food court (in Batam).

Staying in Swiss Inn Hotel in his every trip. So i guess he must have been at a2 food court most of the time.

Batam seems to be a nice place to kill time when one has lots of it on hand, arent it? Hehehe...

Cost should roughly be about S$50 (hotel room), ferry should cost about S$38 on average, drinks and food should be no more than S$30. Let's just call transport at S$10. Total amount would not have cost more than S$128.

With a S$150 budget, there should be no problem having one shot for a 2D1N trip,hehehe...and looking at what the liquor shop wrote at its glass door reminds me of a Chinese proverbs...

对酒当歌 人生几何?

“对酒当歌,人生几何?”是一句名言。对着美酒,伴随着歌舞,人生时间有限。这里讲“人生几何”意是人生时间有限,不是叫人“及时行乐”,而是要及时地建功立业。后也用来指及时行乐。

Meaning :

对酒当歌 - I lift my drink and sing a song

人生几何 - For who knows if life be short or long

The poem or song was from the Romance of the 3 Kingdom by Cao Cao's 短歌行. Below is the full version of it and in English translation. Only those who are interested should click on the spoiler icon. DO NOT click the spoiler button if you do not wish to read poems (with trnaslation).

( Click to show/hide )
对酒当歌-I lift my drink and sing a song

人生几何-For who knows if life be short or long

譬如朝露-Man's life is but the morning dew

去日苦多-Past days many, future ones few

慨当以慷-The melancholy my heart begets

忧思难忘-Comes from cares I cannot forget

何以解忧-Who can unravel these woes of mine

唯有杜康-I know but one man... the God of Wine

青青子衿-Disciples dressed in blue

悠悠我心-My heart worries for you

但为君故-You are the cause

沉吟至今-Of this song without pause

呦呦鹿鸣-Across the bank a deer bleats

食野之苹-In the wilds where it eats

我有嘉宾-Honored guests I salute

鼓瑟吹笙-Strike the harp! Play the flute

皎皎如月-Bright is the moon's spark

何时可辍-Never ceasing never dark

忧从中来-Thoughts of you from deep inside

不可断绝-Cannot settle, cannot subside

月明星稀-Stars around the moon are few

乌鹊南飞-Southward the crows flew

绕树三匝-Flying with no rest

无枝可依-Where shall they nest

山不厌高-No mountain too steep

水不厌深-No ocean too deep

周公吐哺-Sages rush when guests call

天下归心-So at their feet the empire does fall

++++++++++++++++++

The wine, the song, life goes on —
But for how long?
It evaporates, to our dismay,
Like the morning dew, day after day.
Ambition and aspiration sustain me,
But a secret thread of grief worries me.
How can I brush it aside
But by drowning it in wine?

...and its actual teaching/meaning.

及时地建功立业。后也用来指及时行乐。

And in my own translating words:

We try our best to build our own version of Empire hopefully on time during our young days, after which we must also find time to enjoy ourselves in our remaining life.

Life is better when you are drunk? Hehehe...to each its own, i guess. Hehehe...this is just another one of my 5% meaningless post that are topic related.

*please be advise NOT to quote the whole post, my sincere thanks.

Basic Batam Info in One Link

Avoid quoting the whole post if you are replying to me in the thread

信言不美,美言不信。
善者不辩,辩者不善。
知者不博,博者不知。
圣人不积,既以为人己愈有,既以与人己愈多。
天之道,利而不害。
圣人之道,为而不争。

My December 2019 Batam Trip Info