View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1740 / Power: 11
nono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant future
Re: Batam Info / Interest / Help Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatguyAlvin View Post
that's the problem there lor. the "local" drivers are so used to the high fees we pay for the transportation there they can don't do much and tag around with you just for the few trips you travel out and have enough for the day. The mere presence of Grab or GoJek threatens their livelihood of lesser trips/more money per day.
Much often, i would look from the perspective of both Local Touting taxis, GoCar/Grab drivers as well as Silver Cab and Blue Bird taxi drivers. And they are usually quite contradicting if its being look at from only one angle view.

Read on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatguyAlvin View Post
Lepak one corner and smoke till you are done with dinner also can. Cause x3,x4 gojek/grab prices.
Local Touting Taxis :

They are full timers. They held full time jobs as a local touting taxi drivers and they have the most number of taxis in Batam

Grab/Gocar taxi drivers :

They are mostly part timers. Most of them can live w/o being a Gocar/Grab drivers. They only go to customers at their convenience. Its easy job, pick up, drop off but need to do it all at the right places.

Silver Cab/Blue Bird Taxis :

They are full timers too. I think they are the most poor thing among the 3 lot, often squash in between Grab/GoCar companies and Local touting taxi drivers. How many of us actually uses them here? Their pricing were metered and traveling cost is about between GoCar/Grab's lowest and Local Touting taxi driver's highest.

I do put some thoughts on this too - If GoCar/Grab taxi driver's non-driving full time job were threatened, how would they feel? They might probably become mad too. Just like the Local Touting taxi drivers whose full time job were "taxi drivers".

Then again, playing hooligan and resorting to violence isnt the way out as it really piss off tourist like myself. The solution i could think of is blending into the market pool of online taxi apps companies (Grab/GoCar) whereby the Local Touting taxis still gain the edge since they were operating full time. They can join Grab/GoCar and try to pick up all "S$2,S$5 and S$10 notes on the floor". Laziness (Sloth) is a sin. If one choose to play lazy yet expecting to earn more, then i think its not fair.

Few trips ago, i took a Blue Bird taxi when i order for a GoCar.

If there is no Local Touting Taxi and ONLY Blue Bird/Sliver Cab taxis and GoCar/Grab left, end of the day end-user will still suffer too. Just like the current Sillypore situation whereby no group/s will stand out to spoil the market for everyone else. Taxi companies will increase their price as and when they wish to.

Illustrative example :

I read bro Blackpage's FR, he pays 50k rupiah (no bargaining or haggling at all) for taxi from Harbour Bay to anywhere in Nagoya some 7 years back, today he is still paying the same. Trying looking back how much was Singapore taxi fare around 7 years ago and then compare it with today. Will bro Blackpage still be paying 50k rupiah in the years to come? (make a guess) Hehehe...and what is the price for Sillypore taxi fare in the years to come,especially when GST is set to go up soon?

Anyway, above-said were just some thoughts of my own and bits of sharing.

Basic Batam Info in One Link

Avoid quoting the whole post if you are replying to me in the thread

信言不美,美言不信。
善者不辩,辩者不善。
知者不博,博者不知。
圣人不积,既以为人己愈有,既以与人己愈多。
天之道,利而不害。
圣人之道,为而不争。

My December 2019 Batam Trip Info