Thread: An Intern Tale
View Single Post
Old 18-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 176 / Power: 8
kiasusam is a Helpful and Caring Samsterkiasusam is a Helpful and Caring Samster
Re: An Intern Tale

Once it was just the two of us, I could not help but teased her a bit. Somehow it did not seem to bum me out that my ex-girlfriend was doing so well after she left me, maybe because I was still gloomy over Melanie or maybe because I honestly cared about her and her happiness.

“Do I hear wedding bells soon?”

“No lah, siao arh. Not that soon, haha. But I will invite you for sure.”

“As a guest or a bridesmaid? Haha.”

“As the doorman. Hahahah. And bridesmaid too.”

“I shall get my dress ready then.”

“Haha. I look forward to seeing that.”

Olivia and I had dinner once every month to catch up, rant about work and gossip. Seemed like her husband and her were going to try and have a kid. Good for them.

It made the news a couple days after I left E Corp, that billionaire Augustine Ang died of lung cancer.

Olivia told me that Melanie had been busy with the funeral and disputing with her two uncles in court over her father’s possessions, as Mr. Augustine Ang had drafted no will. I had messaged Melanie when I found out the news of her father’s passing, but she did not reply.

Poor Melanie was forced to grow up so quickly and I sincerely wished I could be there to help her somehow.

Having finally met her friends on the yacht, I came to realise that Melanie didn’t really have a true friend. Someone that’s always there for her, through happy or sad times. Her friends were international models, they were busy with photo shoots, travelling the world, sex, drinking, attending fashion shows. Pretty sure some of them weren’t aware her father passed away.

I was that one friend that bothered to stick around. The one friend that she could rant, gossip to, be open and frank. The one friend that mattered.

And now that was all gone.

Olivia mentioned that Melanie hardly ever came to the office and was currently in Australia studying the ecommerce business, preparing to take over her father’s legacy. A lot of rumors floating around the office over the future of E Corp, the value of its shares fell sharply and there were even sayings of E Corp closing down for good.

That night, I sent Melanie a message wishing her all the best with her studies in Australia. In the morning, blue tick and no reply… Again. Oh well, I tried.

Time flies and before long, I was draped in graduation robes, having graduated. Screaming and shouting, taking pictures with friends and family, all thoughts on soaking in the moment and celebrating. In the midst of taking silly mid-air jumping pictures, I almost did not feel my phone vibrating.

It was Melanie. She was calling me.

Stunned and pleasantly surprised, filled with anticipation, I hurriedly answered the call… Hastily walking away from my friends and all the noise and commotion, unable to mask the giggly happy grin I had at receiving her call.

“Hello?”

“Hey Vin.”

Her sweet voice, after more than a year, still sounded so intoxicating and alluring. I pondered briefly on what to ask her.

“How are you?”

“It’s kinda noisy at your side, you at some morning rave party? Hah. I am good. You?”

“Haha, not really. Graduation ceremony now actually. I am wonderful. It is really nice hearing your voice again.”

“I know. I can see that stupid, dumb smile on your face from here. Haha.”

I looked up and started scanning.

There!

She was wearing the same white strapless dress that I saw her in on the first day I started my internship at E Corp.

Her glamorous figure, enhanced by her matching white and silver heels, emanated class and beauty. She seemed completely different from before, as if she matured so much in just one year. She carried herself with so much more confidence and grace. She waved at me, a small smile breaking out on her face.

I dashed over and hugged her.

“Wow, you look really gorgeous. Plastic surgery is really cheap over there, huh?”

She rolled her eyes and punched me. Okay, some things never changed. Now she seemed like the same Melanie from before.

“Fuck you Vin. Still as stupid as ever. Haha.”

“Haah. What are you doing here? I thought you were in Australia.”

“I was. I came back… To visit a friend.”

“Whoa. I wonder who that lucky friend is.”

Punching me again, she started laughing.

“Oh my god, you really need to be punched so many times. Shameless MOFO.”

Hugging her again, partly to stop her punching, but mostly because I couldn’t believe she flew all the way back for me.

“I am kidding. It is nice to see you. Honestly, you shouldn’t have travelled but I am really glad you did.”

Not giving a care in this world, I leaned in and kissed her.

“I really miss you Vin”

“Me too.”

“Sorry, it is just being really rough the past couple of months.”

“I understand. I am sorry too, for not being there.”

“I am graduating in about 3 months, then moving to Colorado to head E Corp full time with the help of some of my dad’s advisors guiding me.”

“Wow. Congrats in advance then. And, Colorado. Seems like fun, haha.”

She looked at me, studying me for a bit.

“Do you want to come? With me?”

What? Unexpected and completely surprised, I was taken aback. That was not what I was expecting to hear.

Composing myself, I half heartedly replied… Feeling bitter.

“Don’t be silly. My family’s here. My whole life is here. And… I’ve accepted a job offer already.”

I briefly saw a tinge of sadness in her eyes before she recovered and smiled, letting out a soft laugh.

“Haha, yeah… I don’t know what I was thinking.”

We stared into each other’s eyes.

Silence.

There was nothing more left to be said. We hugged one last time.

“Well, goodbye then Mel.”

“Yeah, goodbye Vin.”

She waved goodbye to me, before getting into her car. And with that, Melanie left.

—END

Last edited by kiasusam; 18-05-2017 at 12:59 PM.